Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Saffron Spice

    I've had a few recipes I wanted to try that had the spice Saffron in the ingredients.  However, when I go to buy Saffron in the store, it is very expensive.  I decided to research this spice and I found this interesting video from the Veria channel about a 4 day festival in Italy that is dedicated to Saffron.  I found the video very interesting and if one day I could travel to Italy, I'd love to go to this festival.  In the video they say that Saffron is more expensive than gold, and they aren't kidding.  I've heard it is a great spice in recipes and maybe one day I will break down and buy some and give the recipes a try.  In my research, I've found that there may be some good health benefits associated with using Saffron.  It is rich in vitamin A, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Niacin and Vitamin C.  Saffron may also contain anti-cancer properties as well.  If you want to read more about Saffron you can read about it on Wikipedia, and in these good articles, Saffron nutrition facts (from the nutrition and you) and The golden spice saffron has golden health benefits too.  You can view the Veria video below which has great views of Italy and the festival.  There are also some good tips for using Saffron in this video as well.  The video is fun and informative.  I hope you will enjoy learning more about Saffron. 

Note:  You can turn off or mute my blog music on the right hand side with the music player before viewing the video.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...